Valentine's Day is just around the corner. It's one of my favorite days of the year, the one day when we are reminded to hold those we love tight. It doesn't matter whether we are single, in a steamy new relationship, or an old married couple who can finish each other's sentences. We all have people we love, specifically family and friends.
As an elementary school teacher, Valentine's Day love usually comes in the form of hyped up kids and far too much candy. I swear the kids are trying to kill me by fattening me up, but hey, it's the thought that counts, right?
But what about the other people in your life? You know the ones I mean . . . all the people you take for granted, like the mechanic who keeps your car running, or the hair stylist who keeps your gray hairs hidden, or the barista who always gets your coffee order just right? Personally, I'd like to thank the creator of the Keurig machine who makes it possible for my husband and I to enjoy coffee together even when we don't like the same coffee flavor.
But what about authors? Authors need love, too. We readers take it for granted that when we pick up a book, the characters will welcome us into their lives, sharing their trials and tribulations, allowing us to forget our own drama for a while. In the end, we know we'll get our happy ever after ending that will cause a surge of satisfaction to run through us.
When was the last time you showed your favorite author some love? Do your favorite writers know how much you enjoyed their last book? Did you write a review, or recommend their books to all your friends?
Well, here are 10 easy ways to show your favorite authors some serious love by helping to promote their books:
- Recommend the book on FB and Twitter.
- Follow or like the author's social media pages. Share her posts/tweets with your friends.
- Pin the book on Pinterest.
- Add the book to your Goodreads bookshelf.
- Write a review and post it on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Goodreads. While you're there, click on the author's page and like it.
- Buy the book as a gift for friends and family.
- Offer to distribute promotional items (swag).
- Host the author on your blog for an interview and a giveaway.
- Suggest the author's books to your book club. Invite the author (if local) to an informal chat with your friends.
- Talk about the book to everyone you know.