Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Romance Weekly: #LoveWriteChat


Love to read? Enjoy a good romance? Then you've come to the right spot. Each week, the fabulously creative authors at Romance Weekly, host a fun-filled blog hop especially for you! We spill the beans on what it's like to be a writer, give you the inside scoop on our writing process, and at times, tackle flash fiction assignments. Like honest book reviews, comments are always welcome. 

If you are joining me for the first time today, or found me by way of Mishka Jenkins, welcome! And a big hello to my returning friends. *waves hello*

This week, Mishka Jenkins challenged us to write a love letter using the following three random words: sweet, pumpkin, and brush. Oh, and it has to be under 400 words. 

Before I unveil my attempt at this assignment, you should know that I suck at stuff like this. I tend to have an unusual ways of following directions, so my projects always seem to take an odd twist. For instance, the assignment directions never specifically stated that the letter had to be written to a lover. 

Don't say I didn't warn you. 

This love letter clocks in at 271 words 
Dear Addy, 
We’ve never been introduced, not officially anyway, but I thought you should know I’m in love with you. 
The first time I saw you across the room, our eyes locked. Standing amidst the crowd, steeped in the heady aroma of pumpkin spice latte, you gazed into the depths of my soul, trying to unlock all my innermost mysteries. As the crowd parted, you tucked a lock of hair behind an ear and flashed me that sweet smile, the warmth of it caressing my soul. Had I found my soul mate? My one and only?
Finally we stood only a mere foot apart. I was dumbfounded by your beauty. And then you spoke and asked my name. You let your fingers brush against mine, lingering past what common courtesy would deem appropriate. By this time I have to admit, I was beside myself, so tempted was I to sweep you into my arms right then and there, to drown myself in your forbidden kiss. But I refrained, as only a proper gentleman could.
From afar I watched you work as you mixed my drink, a concoction of coffee and pure ecstasy in a cup. And then you handed it to me. That smile, that lingering touch. When I saw the way you wrote my name - spelled properly and capitalized even - I knew you felt it too. 
It was with regret that we parted ways. I take solace in the knowledge that I will see you again soon. Kindred spirits always find their way back to each other somehow. Until tomorrow morning, my dear.
Forever and always yours,
Sam

I hope you enjoyed Sam's love letter to his favorite barista. Next up on this week's blog hop is Xio Axelrod - www.xioaxelrod.com. Thanks for dropping by! 

7 comments:

  1. Oh, fabulous stuff. This one made me smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is so creeptastic. I pity that poor barista. Time to look for a new job.Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I loved this! Bordering on creepy, but still endearing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This guy really loves that coffee ;) and what a HUGE crush he has on the girl working there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. That made me smile. Thanks for sharing. I'm kind of glad you don't follow directions. :)

    ReplyDelete