Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Romance Weekly: TBR Pile


It's that time of the week again! Time to blog hop your way around the internet with a few of your favorite romance authors. If you hopped on over here from Mishka Jenkins' website, https://awriterslifeformeblog.wordpress.com/ you're in the right place. Welcome and enjoy your stay.

This week, I asked the authors of Romance Weekly to dish on what's on their own to-be-read pile. And if their TBR pile is anything like mine is, you'll surely find a few new titles to pick up.

So what's on my own TBR list?



When I buy books, my eyes are often bigger than my stomach - - or rather bigger than my free time allots for -- which only leads to a ginormous To-Be-Read pile. Don't judge me.

I have a small problem. Ok, more like a big problem. I love to buy books. Since my Mr. frowns when I walk out of our local Barnes & Noble store, arms laden with books, I've had to instead turn to the virtual bookshelves at Amazon. I admit, it does lack that heady new book smell I crave, but buying has become much easier when all I have to do is click a button. Unfortr. Which only leads to a ginormous To-Be-Read pile.

With so many books to choose from, how's a girl to decide which books to buy?

To begin with, I periodically check up on my favorite authors to see how they're doing. You know, did they publish a new title while my back was turned? Usually the answer is yes, which ultimately makes me feel like a really slow writer, but still. Gotta show these gals some love when I can.
Love Game: The Matchmaker Series by Elise Sax
Field of Screams: The Matchmaker Series by Elise Sax *Not out until 1/26 but I'm counting the days.
Elvis is a Keeper by Shauna Allen
Dying by the Hour by Kory M. Shrum
Of course, I have to show my writer friends and Soul Mate peeps some love, too, so I wind up buying their books as well. *which I will read, I promise, as soon as I have a spare moment to do so. *
A Man to Trust by Cheryl Yeko (who just happens to be my Soul Mate Pub. editor)
Chef d'Amour by Brenda Margriet
The Calum by Xio Axelrod
Jamen's Yuletide Bride by Rebekah R. Ganiere
Written in the Cards by Lauren Linwood
Voodoo on Bayou Lafonte by Susan C. Muller
The S.E.R.A. Files by C.T. Green
And then there's the lure of social media. My FB news stream is inundated with new books every single day, but most of the time I can resist temptation. On occasion though, something so spectacular will come along that makes me sit up and take notice. Take this ad I found on my Twitter feed.


Um, hell yeah?! I love romance, I love suspense, and who doesn't love a silhouette of a hot guy in a cowboy hat? Talk about right place, right time. The blurb is simple, the photo perfect, and the genre is right for me. To be fair, a catchy title and cover are enough to entice me, but it won't make me buy the book unless the blurb is good. If the author is self-published, I'll usually peruse through the first few pages to be sure the writing is solid as well. I can't cope with reading a book that has glaring spelling, grammar, punctuation, or formatting issues. Sorry. I'm a snob like that.

Here's a few other books I've bought strictly based on their social media ads.
Once Upon a Christmas Wish by Samantha Jillian Bayarr has a great cover I totally covet.
Pistols and Petticoats (A Historical Western Romance Anthology) by Barabara Ankrum, Adrienne deWolfe, and Sharon Ihle. Who wouldn't want this anthology based on a title like that?
Hired For Christmas (The Naughty North Pole Novels) by Genevieve Scholl. Again with the cool title.
I know. I'm weak. And these are only the book on my kindle app. In my classroom, I just finished reading aloud Stuart Gibbs', Spy School (for the 3rd time) and have moved on to reading the sequel, Spy Camp. Next up will be Evil Spy School, right after it is published and hits my local bookstore. BEST SERIES EVER!!! I've never seen kids so addicted to reading to the point where they try to steal my book so they can read ahead. Love it!


Next up? Kim Handysides is waiting for you at http://kimhandysides.com. Drop on in and see what she's got cued up on her book list. And if you've got any suggestions for me, I'm all ears.

Come back Thursday when author Kim Hotzon visits to talk about her new release, Hands Full of Ashes. 

7 comments:

  1. I also check in with my favorites all the time. They just don't write fast enough, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading to kids when I substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many writer friends and favs, it's impossible to keep up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED The Calum & Chef d'Amour. Need to check out Rebecca's Bride book

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I hope you enjoy The Calum. =) Awesome list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found some more books to add!!! Great list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some great books to add! This was a great question for this week, but I think my TBR list is going to be bigger than ever now :D

    ReplyDelete