Sunday, May 4, 2014

Finding Zen In My Unbalanced Life

Have you ever met one of those women who can do it all and never break a sweat? You know the type. Nary a hair is out of place, nails perfectly manicured, children well-mannered. Never flustered, never in the wrong place at the wrong time.

She's the girl you love to hate, but secretly would kill to be. She's superwoman on the job, supermom to her kids, and super sexy for her attentive hubby when the lights go out.

And so totally not me. 

I'm not that chick who can do it all, who's found the zen in her balanced life. In fact I'm pretty sure that girl's a myth because I can't seem to get anything balanced in my hectic, chaotic life. Here's an example of what my to-do list looks like:


My house isn't spotless, I haven't exercised since my hula teacher took a sabbatical from dancing, and my office staff hates me because I'm perpetually late with paperwork. The photos I took of my son's first soccer tournament this year are still unedited, and my current work in progress has been languishing alone *still unfinished* in cyberworld while I try desperately to accomplish the dozens of other favors I've committed myself to. Ugh! As is, I'm skipping church today to tackle my endless to-do list.

It would be fair to say I'm more like the mom who skids into the parking lot and drops the wrong kid off at soccer practice.

Which I have never done . . . Yet.

But I will sheepishly admit that I nearly took my daughter, Taya, to school this week wearing only one shoe. Although in my defense, it was totally her fault that she couldn't find her other shoe. But I digress.

So how do I find this elusive zen state in my life? Is it even possible? 

Heck if I know!


Thankfully I work a job where I have summers off. It allows me to tackle some of those tough projects I've been meaning to get to. As for everything else? Well, just how vital is a spotless house? Do I really need to take 10,000 soccer photos when 100 great ones will do? Do those papers absolutely have to get graded today?

So what about you guys? How do you find balance in your hectic life? Share your tips in the comments. I'm all ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment