Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Romance Weekly: #LoveWriteChat


Welcome back! Sorry I've been such a slacker recently. School and soccer have been sucking up all my time. Both are just about over as of this weekend, so I promise to be better next week. This week's questions come from Kim Handysides, and boy, are they good. Let's jump right in. 

1.  What’s your ideal: alpha or beta and why? 
Yikes! You mean I have to choose between them? Can't I just have one of each? Or how about both traits all rolled up in one hot guy? 

In my experience, both literary and real life, every man believes he's an alpha male . . . even when he's not. Take this cute guy for example. He looks tough but would rather roll over and let you scratch his belly than take down an intruder.


Usually alpha males are swoon worthy, make for a hot date, and even hotter sex. I love a tough guy who's in control but has a heart of gold. His people skills might need to be spit shined on page 1 of nearly every romance book I've ever read, but by the end, he grudgingly does the right thing and turns out to be a big ol' softie. Alpha males make for the best book boyfriends. 

But in reality . . .

Beta males are the ones you want to marry. There's a lot less stress and jealousy involved. As an added bonus, they typically go out of their way to keep their woman, and/or family, happy. Fortunately, I married a beta. Just don't tell him that. He thinks he's the alpha in the relationship. Gotta love the man. 

2.  Do you have a male buddy or mate you use for confirmation or inspiration when crafting your heroes? 
My next hero, Mateo, will be loosely based on a male friend I recently reconnected with. He's a hot military guy with a very romantic heart. Think 6 pack, tattoos, and sultry smile. Mateo will be a wounded ex-Marine who tries to throw his weight around in all the wrong places. Sophie, the principal of a local school, won't back down and orders Mateo to serve something even worse than detention . . . community service at her middle school filled with rowdy, hormonal pre-teens. Will hormones get the best of Mateo when placed in close proximity to Sophie? Can she heal his wounded heart?

Beyond that, no. Even asking my husband to read my manuscript is embarrassing for me. 

3.  What does any hero have to do to win your heart?
I'm a total sucker for a rough around the edges hero with a strong protective nature. Any man who rescues a woman or a child is a good guy in my book. Then again, I am a romantic at heart. I love reading stories about cowboys, and guys with a badge. Who doesn't like a hot guy with a crooked smile and a dirty mind?

Next up on your weekly blog hop is Jeana E. Mann.  http://jeanaemann.net 

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, Elizabeth, I LOVE your next hero. Some similarities to hero of my next book, Gus an ex-Marine with PTSD who bodyguards his best friend's sister & happens to have been his boyhood crush. If you want to compare military guy notes, I'm your girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I finish up my current WIP, I'll shoot you an email, Kim. I'd love to compare notes with you!

      Delete
  2. Love your last line! Sorry I missed your link earlier. Didn't know the person who dropped out wrote under a pen name. Link is fixed now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your answers, and I married a beta, too. We've been together for nearly 22 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats, Carrie! We just celebrated 12 years in April. As far as husband material goes, beta's rock.

      Delete
  4. I agree, Alpha guy in my books, beta in my life :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the plot of that next book. Sounds like a real winner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I married a beta too, they do make the best husbands :) Great blog!!!

    ReplyDelete